Saturday, August 30, 2014

"...it's all them new specialized pieces they make now..."

I don't get angry often.  Ok, certain things make me angry, like things that say "tear here" or "push here to open" and then don't.  I'm looking at you Kraft Mac and Cheese. I did get mad at the game Pitfall... a lot.   I know of folks who worry about offending me 'cuz I'm a "preacher man."  I usually can take most jokes, and I can tune out most things I don't want to hear (chemo given me the hearing of a 80 year old man so I probably misunderstood it anyway).  But, words don't bother me much... usually.

I grok Lovejoy.
I also love talking to the crowds at Brickfest/fair/cons and LEGO displays.  I really do.  Other fans avoid it like the plague, but I enjoy it. However, I am introverted, and after the public goes home I'm ready to curl under my display tables and hide.  I then desire to be "Old Ben" described as "that wizard's just a crazy old man."  But, it's enjoyable to talk with a dad who is getting into the hobby with his kid.  It makes it all worth the drive to have a kid say, "Mom I want to build a spaceship when I get home."  It's hilarious to hear them ask "are you an engineer or and architect?" and I answer "No mam, I'm a minister."  *awkward silence and visions of Rev. Lovejoy's Trains*


YER MESSIN WITH THE WRONG GUY!
However, something ruffles my feathers during he barrage of questions on public days at a convention.  Adult fans tire of hearing, "how long did it take to build that?" And, there's always the dreaded, "Are these real Legos?"  I usually smile and answer those kindly, no bother.  But, it's the "Well... you can do that because Lego makes so many specialized pieces now days."  AUUGH!!
Here's what they're saying:

  1. They make a whole spaceship shaped piece just for you, aren't you special.   
  2. All I had were 2x4 bricks and I wrote letters to Santa with a chisel while riding a brontosaurs. 
  3. I think you cheated.
  4. I Googles'ed all the internets and know every Legos they made back then (whenever then was). 
  5. I would have built that myself, but your heavily detailed area there is worthless due to pieces I didn't know about.
  6. I had some pieces, I could only stick the basic shapes together.  
  7. I won't admit it but your creation makes me feel inferior and I have defeated you with my logic.
Thanks, I'll pack up and go, you win.  Lego never made an element that wasn't a square or rectangle before 2007. Lego makes new shapes and has ruined everything.   That's why they're losing money out their rear end...oh wait.

Lieutenant Dan Hockey League.
Now lets clear something up.  There are incredibly useless stupid pieces LEGO has pumped out.  Tune in dear reader for discussions of such elements in later posts. As an Old Grey Lego Fan (aka OFOL: Old Fart Of LEGO), I can shake my cane and tell these things to "Git Offa My Lawn" with the best  of em.    I lived through the 90's.  It was bad.  LEGO made terrible one use, bucket filler pieces and themes. These elements almost ended the fun for everyone.

So, sure there are stupid pieces. LEGO saw the light on this stuff and backed down on stupid pieces.  However, stupid LEGO is still LEGO, and it can still be used. The error in the criticism of "specialized pieces" comes from someone who thought LEGO was a neat idea, instead of someone who actually builds with passion.  A painter may not like the new fangled brush, but he or she can still use it creatively.

This is from 31 years ago...
It's SO basic, no specialized pieces here.
But, doesn't LEGO pop out new "specialized" pieces today too?  Oh sure. Them "new fangledy things" are still being made.  But it's nothing new.  We live for new GOOD pieces.  In the 1980's, you judged a new set by flipping open the front panel to see what cool new pieces complimented your existing collection so you could do amazing things.

What we have NOW in our "specialized pieces" are new pieces that enhance the building, not stomp creativity.  If you want more details, go check out www.newelementary.com where they point out many of the new bits.  What LEGO is producing are the simple elements that allow us to fine tune the details.  Small brackets, finishing elements, SNOT elements, and detailed accessories are ADDING to the fun.  But, if I can't use them creatively then they're just as useless as a "one use wonder" piece.

No matter our shape or size, we're made to be part of the Creator's grand design.  Instead of comparing my abilities or functions to another shiny new thing, I need to enjoy my part in the plan. What is built by the connections reflect the Creator's personality.    How well the elements are connected means as much as the elements themselves.  I was once a "new element" in His creation. I'm not that impressive, but a bit of "uselessness" can be made useful with a loving purposeful touch.

Now, to the one who says, "it's all them new specialized pieces they make now" I present one of the coolest creations I've seen in a while...  If this is specialized I'll eat my UFO dishes from 1997.
FRROOOMM!  So simple, so creative. (I didn't make it)
  Ok, so I shouldn't get so mad.  I just need to reply, "yeah, they're some neat pieces and some weird pieces, but it's just how you put em together... you should try it."

6 comments:

  1. Well said. When one immediately explains away the talent of another, it speaks more to the insecurity of the critic than any lacking on the part of the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, when I display my stuff at public events, I never get offended by such comments. I just chalk them up to ignorance on their part. But I can certainly see why it would cause frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this article after Bill Ward linked to it. Its always bothered me that MOCers like you get mad at lego's production of themes like the hockey sets you pictured, which is also based mostly on the Bionicle building system. I find it a tad hypocritical because I'm a MOCer who lives for finding those parts and using them. And I think guys like you get mad about lego producing them because they are difficult parts to use and you can't figure out what to do with it, just the same as those lookieloos can't figure out how you made your amazing spaceships. They feel inferior. I think that's been the source of the stigma behind Bionicle. Its way more complicated and I've heard so many system MOCers say "I don't know how to use it." When you call something like those themes, sets, or parts stupid, you're being a hypocrite. You're showing the same ignorance to what some of us do with those parts as the public shows to you for your use of specialized parts. They're not stupid, no more stupid than your spaceship dishes. Or the Sports ramps you are famous for using. They have a shape, and some connection points, and you just gotta figure out how to use them.

    I"ve seen Pate-ketongu juse the faces of the Hockey dudes as Dwarf statue faces, The Hokey armor is great for Bionicle. In fact, there's a lot of really cool interesting parts to come out of the 90's and early 2000's that MOCers like me have utilized to great effect. Just because you couldn't find a use for that hockey set's parts doesn't make it stupid. I would expect you to be more open minded Chris, but then again, you're a minister, so that makes a bit of sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you miss the part where he said "However, stupid LEGO is still LEGO, and it can still be used"? Or were you too busy looking forward to ending your comment with that last biting remark about him being a minister? Stay classy there, Mr. Poopypants.

      Delete
  4. I personally don't get offended with such comments, because I heard even worse comments (well, overheard would be a much better term, because these people don't really dare saying it in front of the artist).

    Just last Brickfête in Toronto, a guy, looking at my Classic Space layout, told his wife: "Yeah, I could totally build that. I just don't have the time and the instructions like these guys have."

    Yes, and I have my own little LEGO factory in my backyard making all the pieces I need...

    ReplyDelete
  5. (psst, I'm not like super mad at folks when this happens... don't be so srs srsly)

    ReplyDelete